Thursday, June 7, 2007

And we'll call it Linda's Ark

So, my life is finally back to normal.... after my last post I am sure you are all quite intrigued by my mention of a flood and yes indeed it was a flood...... let me explain
Tuesday:
- went to work
- went to school with KQ
- half way through class KQ and I decided that it was BS and we needed to leave asap.... so on the intermission ay 7:30 we made a break for it (we are such deadbeat students) and quickly realized that the sky had opened up above the school.... and our cars we a good 400 m away from the building.... so we got completely drenched as we attempted to get home...
- on the way home I decided that I should stop by my apartment and pick up a red t-shirt to wear the next day (it was D DAY by the way!) - weird thing was that I am housesitting across town and really shouldn't have been at home for another few days, and Heather wasn't due home until Thursday..... but yet fate made me come home....spooky - ooooooooh!!!!
- parked the car in the back as someone was in my parking spot again!
- figured out that my remote key for my car doesn't work in an electrical storm... interesting...
- walked into my apartment, stepped into a puddle, heard lots of water hitting the floor and slowly peered around the corner of my fridge very very scared to find out what on earth was making that noise....
- saw a waterfall of water flowing out of my sink onto my floor..... said a very bad word and ran into the hallway to see what else was occuring in my absense....
- stepped in another puddle, looked in horror as a river flowed out of my storage room and directly into my room (I guess that means that my aparment slopes back into my room - how lovely!)
- ran into all storage room gasped at the tower of water spurting out of the air intake pipe.....
- called my landlord, figured that the damn storm was interfering with the cell networks
- called Cam's parents, yelled into the phone that "OMG, my aparment is flooded - help, I don't know what to do, make it stop, MAKE IT STOP!!!!!"
-called my mom, called Cam screaming the same thing.......
-called Heather, left a funny message in a surpisingly calm voice " Heather, it's Linda, umm, I don't know where you are but bad things are happening, the apartment is flooded, you should come home........"

Basically, at this point in time, I ran around - all ready soaked to the bone from the downpour outside, covered in new yucky back up sewer water spewing from various locales in my house - gathering up everything I could throwing it somewhere higher, cleaning out closets as water soaked everything in sight, answering my phone in a panic as numerous people tried to call and ask if they could help - I'm sorry I yelled at all of you, but I was a bit stressed....

My landlord also showed up, and as he walked through the door and sloshed his way to the hallway, I stood in my hallway, mop in hand and said
"Dean, my apartment is flooded, please do something!"
He helped to clear out the inches of water that took over my room, hallway, bathroom and kitchen....In the end I stopped the water going into my room and Heather's with towels, emptied out a 75L rubbermaid container and tried valiantly to re-direct the water flow into the container, which worked and thankfully the water taped off as the water level reached the rim of the container.

I spent the rest of the night with Cam's parent's, my mom, Cam and my landlord clearing out water... the next day I spent cleaning and disinfecting every surface of my household with bleach water.... and now everything is back to normal, smelling like a swimming pool, but not infested with nasty sewer water and microbes......

I heard at work that my boss informed the office of my predicament by walking into the office and inviting everyone to my hosue as I now have an indoor pool.... yeah!!!! No, really, it could have been a billion times worse. All in all I lost some magazines, some school papers (I luckily saved the yellow death tests from Sanchez.... can't ever loose those!), and my beautiful Ikea rugs..... but really, that is nothing compared to what other people lost....

Quite the fun I tell you.... quite the fun......

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw!! It sounds so much worse than I thought! Damn water! Glad you didn't lose too much!

Anonymous said...

yuck...i hope it dries out quickly...

Linda said...

In hindsight it wasn't really all that bad, luckily I got it all cleaned up in less than 24 hours... I'm just glad I caught it when I did.

Heather said...

I'll add a teensy editorial, and say that your message was NOT calm, but more like "Heather!!!! YOU HAVE TO COME HOME NOW!!!!! OUR APARTMENT IS FLOODING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" And all those exclamation marks are necessary...

Linda said...

hilarious... in my head I seemed calm, but apparently I was a raving loon.... hope you enjoyed the message.....