Friday, January 25, 2008

Book of the Week / Happy Robbie Burns!

Happy Robbie Burns Day!!!


As we all know (I hope we all know), today is the Birthday of Scotland's Greatest Poet. If he was alive he would be 249 years old - not bad! But, in all seriousness it is a day to celebrate as he was a great poet and luckily his writings live on today - "Auld Land Syne" and "A Red, Red Rose to name but a few. So if you happen to see a bunch of kilted men and women out and about to day make sure to wish them a Happy Robbie Burns day, and if you are so inclined I urge you to have a wee bit o' haggis and wash it down with a dram o whisky to commemorate this special day!

In honour of this day I propose the Book of the Week to be a Collection of Robbie's poems... this particular one is available on ebay for only $24.99 USD.

Happy Reading, and Happy Celebrating... Slainte!

A Red, Red Rose


O my luve is like a red, red rose
That's newly sprung in June;
My is love like the melodie
That's sweetly played in tune.

As fair art thou, my bonny lass,
So deep in luve am I;
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
Till a' the seas gang dry.
Till a' the seas gang dry, my dear,

And the rocks melt wi' the sun;
I will luve thee still, my dear,
While the sands o' life shall run.
And fare thee weel, my only love!

And fare thee weel, awhile!
And I will come again, my love
Though it were ten thousand mile.
My Love is Like a Red, Red Rose

No comments: