Friday, April 18, 2008

Book of the Week / Last Friday

So today is my very very last day at Job #1 - FNF Canada. it's sad, in a way, but great in a different way. I will be pleased to leave certain aspects of this job, as well as some people (can't be friends with everyone, can I?) but the worst part is that I have some friends that are really close to me and it will be awful not to see them everyday. Guest blogger E$ is one of them, Lanster is another, Scott and Crystal as well - what will I do without them I wonder?

I will also miss my desk... situated beside the beautiful window, with all that glorious sunshine... well not TODAY as it is snowing, but most days. Plus I do think I will also miss the fully stocked kitchen and Fat Friday celebrations.. and maybe even the witty banter that passes between the cubicles in the office... wow, that makes me quite sad. Well, that and the fact that I will be in Victoria in less than a week... YIKES!!!!

Ughhh, now I am feeling the stress.. OK - enough of that, onto the book...

Today I've picked a book I read a while ago, then I gave to Heather to take to S. America and read, which I assume she did... but anyhoo it's a good book, it's historical (of course), set in France (of course), and features strong female characters.. (of course). Basically it's right up my alley. The book itself is titled "Labyrith" and it is written by Kate Mosse. She also just released another one called "Sepulchre" which is along the same lines at the first book - but not connected so you may read them independently.

Here's what the Publishers have to say about it:
When Dr Alice Tanner discovers two skeletons during an archaeological dig in southern France, she unearths a link with a horrific and brutal past. But it's not just the sight of the shattered bones that makes her uneasy; there's an overwhelming sense of evil in the tomb that Alice finds hard to shake off, even in the bright French sunshine. Puzzled by the words carved inside the chamber, Alice has an uneasy feeling that she has disturbed something which was meant to remain hidden...Eight hundred …+ read more
When Dr Alice Tanner discovers two skeletons during an archaeological dig in southern France, she unearths a link with a horrific and brutal past. But it's not just the sight of the shattered bones that makes her uneasy; there's an overwhelming sense of evil in the tomb that Alice finds hard to shake off, even in the bright French sunshine. Puzzled by the words carved inside the chamber, Alice has an uneasy feeling that she has disturbed something which was meant to remain hidden...

Eight hundred years ago, on the night before a brutal civil war ripped apart Languedoc, a book was entrusted to Alais, a young herbalist and healer. Although she cannot understand the symbols and diagrams the book contains, Alais knows her destiny lies in protecting their secret, at all costs.
Skilfully blending the lives of two women divided by centuries but united by a common destiny, LABYRINTH is a powerful story steeped in the atmosphere and history of southern France.

Happy Reading!

No comments: