Friday, April 25, 2008

The end

Well ladies and gentlemen, this is the end - temporarily. I'm sitting in bed - in an empty room, in an empty apartment (except for Heather's things) exhausted, sad and nervous. Today was pretty awful, packing up my beloved Kensington Palace, saying goodbye to my friends - not fun.

I've had a few meltdowns, mostly while saying goodbye to people (I HATE goodbyes... they are horrifically awful!) and looking at my lovely Palace for the last time (see I'm getting teary eyed again... ) but I am getting through it and I will be okay, eventually. I know you must all think that I am quite the lunatic for being so upset about an apartment and a 3 month hiatus from my friends. But the fact of the matter is that this apartment, apart from being beautiful, perfectly located and renovated is what it represents to me - my Independence. Previous to being here I had a rough time and this apartment sort of proved to myself that I could do it alone and do it well. Now like anything, this apartment has it's faults... it floods a lot, it is COLD, it is expensive... but it is Kensington Palace and to quote several people "this is the end of an era". Not to mention the fact that Heather and I will no longer be roommates. I've tried really hard not to think about that one as it causes instant tears but I really can't ignore it any longer.

Heather and I, although roommates for almost 2 years, rarely spend any time together as we are always so busy. But when we do see each other we talk for hours and laugh a lot. It will be so different not to wonder when she'll be home next, or what funny stories she has to tell about her latest pairing... wow, this is quite the depressing post isn't it??? I don't really want to go on as this is pretty sad, but to say the least, I will miss her and as our schedules will continue to be busy I doubt we will have many 3 hour talk marathons in the future.

So that's it kids, I am done for a while. I am not sure that I will have access to this blog at all on base, but Eleni, I am sure, will be diligent in her posting and keeping you all informed on my activities.

Alright, I'm going to dry my eyes now and try to get some sleep. 5 am isn't far off!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

buena suerte Linda!

Anonymous said...

Oh Linda!
We wish you all the best at basic and we will be sure to send you some mail! we love you and miss you! You are going to do just great!!
Love, Cynthia, Aaron and Samantha

Anonymous said...

My dear girl,

Keep you head up, and always remember how proud I am of you :)

Love Lani