Sunday, September 9, 2007

Thoughts

Nothing humbles you more that your little sister's birthday celebration.

I say this because tonight we celebrated Amy's 24th birthday. It was really quite fun, I got to see all of her friends that she grew up with, and amazingly still keeps in touch with - something that I will admit I am sad to say I do not do. We did however get to talking about what everyone does and how everyone is and it really made me think. Now I know I've done stuff in my lifetime, I really have, but I do feel somewhat sad that more hasn't happened as of yet.

What I am getting at is the fact that she has friends (and so do I come to think of it) that are married, have proper careers, have children, own a home etc... and although I have graduated from university I have neither a child nor a husband, nor do I have a proper career, nor do I own anything in the way of real estate.

I guess the fact that my next birthday is a scant 12 minutes away makes me re-evaluate my life, which is good in a way but it can really get a girl down.

This fact is a bit troubling to me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

linda-
first off- happy birthday yesterday.

secondly, sometimes life gets in the way of...well...life. you said yourself, you've done many things to be proud of. sure, you aren't married nor do you have children. but you've also had to re-work your life a bit. things haven't gone exactly how you thought they would. when that happens, things get readjusted and "timelines" change.

i bet some of your sister's friends who have their proper careers, children, homes and husbands envy the fact that you could pick up and go anywhere if you wanted to.

be happy where you are, but still work towards where you want to be. you'll miss out on a lot if you are too busy thinking about where you should be.

Linda said...

true indeed, but sometimes these things are like a good kick in the pants - it makes you do things and take charge of your life... thank you for the sweet message - you are wise beyond your years...

Anonymous said...

hey...how was the birthday tea? i really wish i could have been there and when i am no longer chained to RCSS....i will be able to do more!!!

and as for lamenting over no husband, kids and real estate....you can't plan it!!! well, you can buy a condo or house...that you can control...but all other things are really kismet and sometimes it just happens. my jr high teacher had us write a 10 yr journal (one entry per year) to predict would happen after we turned 18. and guess what??!?!none of it happened as planned!!! look at me....if you told me that i would be living this life right now i would have laughed at you....

speaking of my life....i now have to hang 4 people's laundry up and put another load in the machine and then i have to grocery shop, meet with Tara's teacher @ 11:45 and i also have to make dinner....do you want to trade days?!?!? hahaha!!! just kidding....D

Linda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda said...

I know, but sometimes I feel the need to be sad and contemplate "what should have been" and since I have an outlet where people get to read my thoughts - I write them down... I do believe in fate, as silly as that sounds so I thats how I deal and will continue to deal until I feel the need to change so there we go...

As for my bday - it was so perfect I cannot even tell you, but I do wish you were there. Tonight I have a meeting and I'm not quite sure how to attach photos on my blog via my new mac - but I'll write a summary tomorrow and if I'm lucky figure out the damn iphoto thingy...