Friday, March 28, 2008

Book of the Week

I almost forgot to post this again.. oops!

Anyways, today, because I am sick and miserable, I thought we could read a book about a plague-town in England. The premise of the book is mainly about one women's struggles to get through one specific year in which a good portion of the towns folk fall victim to the Plague. If I'm not very coherent here I apologize as my brain is muddled with sickness...


In any case, it's a good read, very inspiring although somewhat sad.


This is what the editors have to say:


When an infected bolt of cloth carries plague from London to an isolated village, a housemaid named Anna Frith emerges as an unlikely heroine and healer. Through Anna''s eyes we follow the story of the fateful year of 1666, as she and her fellow villagers confront the spread of disease and superstition. As death reaches into every household and villagers turn from prayers to murderous witch-hunting, Anna must find the strength to confront the disintegration of her community and the lure of illicit love. As she struggles to survive and grow, a year of catastrophe becomes instead annus mirabilis, a "year of wonders."
Inspired by the true story of Eyam, a village in the rugged hill country of England, Year of Wonders is a richly detailed evocation of a singular moment in history. Written with stunning emotional intelligence and introducing "an inspiring heroine" (The Wall Street Journal), Books blends love and learning, loss and renewal into a spellbinding and unforgettable read.
In other news I found out this morning that I have a pinched nerve in my right foot.. hence why my foot goes numb when I run... which is always fun... yeah!

No comments: